Ursuline
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is there symbolism behind monkey problem?

+2
ssims1994
sarah13
6 posters

Go down

is there symbolism behind monkey problem? Empty is there symbolism behind monkey problem?

Post  sarah13 Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:09 pm

When the monkeys first entered the plot I thought they would come and go. Never did I think that they would be the main topic for the rest of the book! Did the monkey's symbolize something? Maybe they symbolized the bad that goes on in the world that disrupts the peace that is so sought after by those such as Sampath. I just found it interesting that the "hullabaloo" caused by the monkeys would make up the rest of the book and I think there is a deeper meaning behind that. What do you think?

sarah13

Back to top Go down

is there symbolism behind monkey problem? Empty Monkey problem

Post  ssims1994 Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:43 pm

The monkeys are the main problem in the text. They are a controversial most likely religious problem where many people try to solve this problem and they refuse to agree with any other solution. The monkeys could represent many different things if applied to different sercumstances. Examples of a situation like this would be family fueds, children arguing over a toy. These situations result in a stand still where the problem is not solved and the former bonds between the two parties are severly damaged or completely broken.

ssims1994

Back to top Go down

is there symbolism behind monkey problem? Empty Re: is there symbolism behind monkey problem?

Post  allysonbrianna Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:43 pm

I agree with Sarah S. in the fact that the monkey's were a big part of the plot. In fact, I believe that the monkey problem even paralleled Sampath's life directly. Sampath is a minor nuisance to his family growing up. Then, Sampath runs into the guava tree, he disturbs his families peace. And then a chain of events happen because of that one choice. The same is true with the monkeys. When the first monkey is stealing from people it is a nuisance, but then it soon grows into a huge whole chain of events.
allysonbrianna
allysonbrianna

http://www.threadsforteens.com

Back to top Go down

is there symbolism behind monkey problem? Empty RE: monkey problem

Post  claire4 Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:49 pm

thats a good point allyson. i think the monkeys symbolize Sampath and what he once was. However, i think that this monkey issue and how they are alcoholics symbolizes something as well. Is alcoholism a growing issue in india? according to ias.org.uk "over the past twenty years, the number of drinkers has increased from one in 300 to one in 20." In my mind, i think that the author is trying to almost raise awareness about alcoholism through the monkeys. their behavior is showing how alcohol effects people and how it in turn causes turmoil in a society.

claire4

Back to top Go down

is there symbolism behind monkey problem? Empty Re: is there symbolism behind monkey problem?

Post  brebre13 Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:00 pm

good point claire4! i totally agree. i think this is another example of the author using satire to out her messages across.

brebre13

Back to top Go down

is there symbolism behind monkey problem? Empty is there symbolism behind mokey problem?

Post  sarah13 Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Sarah S. i love how you compared the monkey problems to symbolize different religious problems. i never thought of it like that but i think that makes a lot of sense. and claire that also makes a lot of sense how the author could use the monkey's behavior as a way to show how alcoholism not only affects yourself but also the people in the community.

sarah13

Back to top Go down

Post  BeccaNicole Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Maybe the monkeys could also represent Sampath's childlike behavior, or his immaturity?

BeccaNicole

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down