Ursuline
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hullabaloo

+12
maureen31
kjwalsh13
ElayneGriswold13
brebre13
claire4
allysonbrianna
Sinead13
Ms. Paul
ZaZu13
Canada13
Wolfie-13
AdminPaul
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hullabaloo Empty Hullabaloo

Post  AdminPaul Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:23 am

How are failures helpful?

AdminPaul
Admin

https://ursulinehs.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty Re: Hullabaloo

Post  Wolfie-13 Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:40 pm

testing
Wolfie-13
Wolfie-13

http://retaliationforum.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Canada13 Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:29 pm

Just making sure I know how to work this.

Canada13

Back to top Go down

Post  ZaZu13 Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Failures are helpful because you can learn from your mistakes.
ZaZu13
ZaZu13

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty failures

Post  Ms. Paul Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:23 pm

yes zAzu, but add examples...and relate to the book. For instance, you may relate this question (and therfore answer) to soccer. A failed shot by a dedicated should mean practicing that one shot until successful, eh? Or it also relates to failures such as honestly, or friendship where we learn by actual heartache and pain. Sympath learned what by a period of unhappy living?
Ms. Paul
Ms. Paul

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty more on failure

Post  Ms. Paul Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:29 pm

this question may be viewed in two eays, 1 - how do our own personal failures help or hinder us? (and do they help us?) and 2- how do society's failures, as in people and events help or hinder us? Is sympath a failure, or his sister? For instance, paris hilton, in my mind, is a failure. Does she have any talents or skills? Not being too neg. To her, my point is that she doesn't hold a candle to any of my students Very Happy and yet look at her following? (never me btw) is sympath a failure even though he enlightens many?
Ms. Paul
Ms. Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Canada13 Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:31 pm

I would say that failures are usually what show us that something must be changed. Sampath was told that he was a failure by his father. This showed him that he had nothing extravagant in his life. His failure, he realized was not that he worked in a hum drum job at the post office, and had never been promoted; but that he had never pursued anything exciting in his life. Sampath saw only one way to rid himself of his failures. If he made a fool of himself, maybe something would be different the next day. It certainly was different. His change, because of his failure is what shows us that failures can point us in the direction of the right path. With a failure, we can change our ways.

Canada13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sinead13 Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:58 pm

I agree with Canada13...Sampath was a failure not because he didnt succeed at his job. His father called him a failure because he lacked motivation to make a difference to the world. He realised that he needed to make an impact on society, as everyone who can be considered successful does at some point in their life. However, Sampath had an unusual way of doing this. He felt unimportant, so he ran away, trying to escape from his failures. In doing so he actually found success. He helped people, using information that he gained during a time in which his life was considered a failure. He opened peoples letters and learned about their personal lives, when he should have been working hard to earn a promotion. When he climbed the tree and people came to him, he used that information to convince them that he was important, and then gave them advice. He need to have failed at some point in his life to truly succeed.

Sinead13

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty What is a failure?

Post  Sinead13 Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:03 pm

In some of the other posts, failures are discussed. Some say that Sampath's life was a failure; others say it was a success. How can a failure be defined? As not conforming to the standards set by society? Or as not making a difference?

Sinead13

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty A Failure Is...

Post  Canada13 Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 pm

I think that an answer to your question, Sinead13 could be very vague or very precise. To me, a failure is someone who is given many opportunities in life, but never uses the gifts he has been bestowed. For example, a beggar who was born a beggar and dies as a beggar is not a failure. He has not been given the physical or worldly gifts that others have been given, therefore he has nothing to fail with. If a beggar became a worker, then he would be a success. But, a man who is born into a family with enough gifts to make something of himself an chooses a life of alcohol or drugs, or simply doesn't try in his life is a failure. Many people would kill for the opportunity to be able to go to a good school, or to live in a house, or have their own room. Failing to use one's resources is the biggest failure of all.

Canada13

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty How can Success be Measured?

Post  Canada13 Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:39 pm

How do we measure success? Is success different between classes, or is everyone placed on a scale in which they must meet a requirement before they are considered successful? There are so many variables, so does that make success easier for others? Or harder?

Canada13

Back to top Go down

Post  allysonbrianna Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:45 pm

@kayleigh
Success is different for every individual. Who is to say that somebody is a failure or a success? Ultimately, it should be up to a person to judge his or her own life and decide whether or not he or she is a failure or success. Each individual has his or her own definition of success and failure and how to achieve one or both of those options.

In Sampath's life, it seems to be that he considers his life pre-guava tree unsuccessful and in a time period of unhappiness. However, during the time when he lived in the tree he MIGHT consider that a successful time period. One will never know though because it is not explicitly stated in the book. For all anybody knows, he held his life to different standards than what he achieved.

@Ms. Paul
Personally I do not like to put labels on other people that I do not know, have never met and really don't know the full circumstances of their situation. I really do believe that success is an objective thing, so while you might believe Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, etc., iare a failures, maybe they consider themselves to be a great success. While I don't personally agree with many of those two girls lifestyle choices, I don't think it is my place to judge them.
allysonbrianna
allysonbrianna

http://www.threadsforteens.com

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty great points ladies

Post  Ms. Paul Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:13 pm

great points ladies, I am hoping more will discuss their definition of success as it is different for everyone. Please be carful not to put words in my mouth other than my definition of success matches the lives and actions of students more than the "success" that media & culture presents. For instance if indeed paris is successful, what would be the exact character of her success? Which characte then, would she match? Why is it that people all over our town, city, state, etc would welcome and even befriend people such as paris but not you for instance ally? Like welcome you in and or listen to what you have to say? Clearly you try not to judge but where does our cultur fail to have such a mix up? How is it that this similar problem happen in the novel? This novel was satiric in it's answer or reasons, do you see the novel's reasoning for misplacing success and or judgement upon people similar to our society's? Nice work, keep it up, I am on my tiny phone, wish I was on a computer...you guys are doing great. Sse if more students will pose or answer other questions...happy new year.
Ms. Paul
Ms. Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  allysonbrianna Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Just because I said that I don't agree with some of their lifestyle choices does not mean that I wouldn't necessarily be friends with them. I don't know them. I do know that Lindsay Lohan is in court-ordered rehab for cocaine and alcohol. I never want to let myself be in that situation. I still could be friends with her, however.

Yes, I do agree that society seems to have a type of standard mold as to who is successful and who isn't. I don't know what is right. I do think that it is messed-up that models, actors and singers get more emphasis than doctors that save people's lives on a regular basis.
allysonbrianna
allysonbrianna

http://www.threadsforteens.com

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty Failures helpful

Post  claire4 Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:31 am

i agree with a lot of people that have replied to this already. Failures are helpful because they make you stronger and more likely to succeed. Sampath was a failure at life, no motivation or purpose in his life. He didn't care about making a difference. Once he is enlightened, Sampath uses his failures to help others. By once being a failure, Sampath changed the course of his life, using failure to help him succeed. I think that is one of the main messages of this book; even through the greatest failures comes the greatest success.

claire4

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty Re: Success

Post  Sinead13 Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:48 pm

@Canada13
I agree with allysonbrianna in that success is different for every person. Success cannot be measured by a universal standard, becaus it depends on various conditions. For example, success for an individual living in a third world country might simply mean surviving to an old age, and providing food for their family. However success for a student provided with an education might entail becomming successful in a career. The society in which one grows up often sets the standard for how success can be defined

Sinead13

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty good point

Post  claire4 Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:53 pm

good point Sinead about how success can only be measured by the individual not by a generic standard. But why does society use that measure if it is not effective?

claire4

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty RE: Sucess

Post  brebre13 Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:39 am

@allysonbrianna
i agree that success is based upon individual actions and the opportunities that are given to said individuals. but i don't think that someone could measure his or her own accomplishments. yes, one can feel pride in their life and actions. and yes, different people have different views of success. but the fact is, success is based on the world's perspective. who has the most money? who has the most power? these questions have become synonymous with "who is the most successful?". it may not be someones place to judge others, but the world does. its human nature to judge others and compare them to ourselves. unfortunately people are always competing and trying to outdo others in efforts to be seen as successful. so when considering Lindsay and Paris, their success is based on the world's view of them. and in their cases success changes every day. success isn't a sedentary attribute, but instead a trait that changes with the popular opinion. people are controlled by what they think success means. if the magazines and papers declare something a success, the world follows in an attempt to meet the status quo. people are willing to change themselves and their motivations just to become what society deem success.

brebre13

Back to top Go down

Post  ZaZu13 Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:28 pm

@brebre13
I totally agree with you. When someone is said to be "successful" others constantly do whatever it takes to raise the bar of success higher. But at what point does it become physically impossible to do better?
ZaZu13
ZaZu13

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty Success

Post  Canada13 Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:43 pm

@brebre you have a really good point. Success has been measured on what society expects from us. A success to one person may not be considered a success to the media, or to another crowd. Success is something personal, with no measurements. Success should be something different to each person. After all, aren't we all different people? Sadly, the media's definition of success is so specific and precise that it is practically impossible to obtain. This leaves many people feeling like failures because they aren't in this tax bracket, or they don't know this person. The measurement of success is a personal measurement. For example, feeding a houseful of kids could be considered successful to one person, whereas another may consider it a failure that there was difficulty to provide food in the first place. Another example would be a child who has been bullied breaking free and becoming stronger from it. To that child, there is no bigger success that being free. So in conclusion, success is different for each person. Success is also personal. No one can be told that they're a failure by anyone but themselves. It's when we lose faith and start to doubt ourselves, thats when failure is among us.

@Zazu13, this is a totally personal opinion, but I think that it becomes physically impossible to do better when physical, mental, and emotional safety is at risk. It becomes physically impossibly to do better when the body cannot physically offer what is needed to be successful. It becomes mentally impossible when self-doubt and self-conciousness plague ones mind. If someone is so caught up in being "successful" that they forget who they are, then it is impossible to continue if that shred of reality has been lost. Finally, it is emotionally impossible when emotions and friendships are affected by becoming successful. If losing ones friends to be a certain way is successful, then personally, I would rather be a failure. As I said, this is totally personal, so you may not agree with me. But that is how I measure success with myself as the example.

Canada13

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty What do you consider a failure?

Post  ElayneGriswold13 Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:48 pm

Some things may be considered a success to some, yet a failure to others. Sampath was perfectly content in the guava tree, but his father firmly believed that he and his entire existence was a failure.
The end result of a failure, whether it be good or bad, can only be determined through your own view of it.
ElayneGriswold13
ElayneGriswold13

Back to top Go down

Hullabaloo Empty Happiness and Failure

Post  kjwalsh13 Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 am

in my own opinion Sampath was a success. i believe success is when a person experiences and gives love and happiness. Sampath was a success in that aspect because he had happiness in the tree and gave happiness to his followers because they had someone to believe in.

kjwalsh13

Back to top Go down

Post  brebre13 Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:27 am

@kjwalsh13
great point about how sampath gave the followers something to believe in. he was a success in that he was able to positively influence other lives. Would the followers have felt that sampath was a success? or a failure once he transformed into a guava?

brebre13

Back to top Go down

Post  kjwalsh13 Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:57 pm

@brebre13
I think Sampath's followers would have seen his transformation as a success because he reached the ultimate goal of being as calm as a guava.

kjwalsh13

Back to top Go down

Post  Canada13 Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:34 pm

@kjwalsh, you are so right! He is considered calm as a guava. He is a success, because he offers hope and happiness to everyone that comes and sees him.

Canada13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next